Mobile Malifaux!

After acquiring a few Malifaux minis, the rulebook, a playing mat, fate decks, tape measures, counters, soul stones, character cards and a few odd tools “just in case”, I really needed to put all of my Malifaux stuff in it’s own case. My buddy Carson has been carrying his 40k stuff in an aluminum case for awhile, and he told where I could get one. Harbor Freight has a great deal on these, and they hold more than enough for two to four crews plus required game gear. They come with all of the foam/inserts/tool rack and strap for $25.00! I have access to foam I can cut to fit the case, so in the future if I acquire more minis(who am I kidding, of course I will), I can double layer the foam. The foam it comes with is a bit thick, but for larger models like Killjoy and mature Nephilim, this is really what you need anyway.
I have Army Transports for my 40k stuff, but since Malifaux doesn’t require row after row of foam, even the Mark II seemed too much.
Now I need a way to make my Malifaux terrain portable!

Malifaux Barricades

I borrowed a Hirst arts mold from a friend of mine to cast blockade pieces for my growing Malifaux slum. When I went to glue them together I noticed the texture kept them from gluing very securely. I hate having terrain fall apart after using it once or twice. I glued a few together with a heavy blob of liquid nails, and cast them in a new stacked formation. Now I can make solid barricades all at once, and save having to glue them together. They don’t come up as high as I would like on the Malifaux minis(love their scenic bases though), so I might have to put them on a small raised base.
I just got TAP Plastics RTV Silicone mold system, and I’m loving it. I’ll be posting more mold projects soon. One day I hope to be able to make full building molds!

Malifaux Shacks

I finally got these to a playable level of detail. They still need a few things to make them look lived in, but that will have to wait until I get a few other projects done first. I love the way the wash on the balsa turned out, just watered down Golden Acrylics burnt sienna. The tin roofing was a mix of stippled brown/orange over craft color aluminum, then a wash of the same brown/orange. A light dry brush of the aluminum over the raised edges, and they’re done. I tried to make a few of them less rusty, by dragging the brush down the recesses.
I’m not sure what to add to finish them, but they’re looking a bit plain.

I like the look, and will probably make more, along with fences and junk piles to go around them.

Here’s a scale shot to show how big they are next to my Ramos crew.

Malifaux tin roof

I’ve been looking for a better solution to doing roofing for my Malifaux shacks. Online I ran across the brilliant idea of using a paint tube wringer to make corrugated tin roofs. Here’s how mine turned out. I used a pack of aluminum cooking pans from the dollar store, and a $6.00 paint wringer bought from Utrecht in Portland. I got enough roofing pieces to do an entire city of shacks, or make entire shacks from tin! The aluminum is strong enough to hold the shape with moderate handling. I’m pretty careful with my minis anyway, so there shouldn’t be a problem with denting. The amount shown in the picture is about a third of the total I got from the three small baking pans.

Update:
I played around with a couple different kinds of glue trying to get the aluminum sheets to stick to the foam core building, and finally had to resort to liquid nails. It does a fantastic job! This is a test piece more than anything, so future shacks will have windows, wood panels, maybe interiors.
Still need to base coat with spray paint, then add rust and moss to cover the parts of foam core frame and glue still showing.